Davidson and Farrier Family Histories

This is a site for us to upload family histories and pictures of our Davidson and Farrier family ancestors. I have not written most of the histories, although I have put together the timelines. The histories have been gathered from various sources, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of their information.

If you recognize any of these people and have information to add or correct, please post a comment, including your email address if you wish, so we can be in touch. I would love to connect with other descendants of these family members.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hans Christian Davidson, 1820-1892 and Anna Maria Jensen, 1828-1886

Hans Christian Davidson:
  • Born 28 Mar 1820 Kegnaes, Alsen Is., Schleswig Holst., Denmark
  • Died 23 Aug 1892 Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah
  • Parents: Hans Davidson and Dorthea Catherine Hansen
  • Wife: Anna Maria Jensen (md. 2 Nov 1851/1852 Mommark, Aabenraa-Sonder, , Denmark)
  • Children: Mary Dorthea Catherine Davidson, Hans Thomas Davidson, Elizabeth or Isabella Davidson, Lorenzo S. Davidson, Amasa Davidson, Sarah Davidson (died as infant), Ephraim Morning Davidson, Sarah Davidson, baby Davidson (died as infant), Lucinda Davidson, Joseph Davidson
  • Wife: Anne Dorthea Hansen (md. 16 Nov 1887)
  • Wife: Karen Marie Nielsen (md. 10 Oct 1889)
  • Wife: Johana Marie Nielsen (md. 9 Jul 1890)
Anna Maria Jensen:
  • Born 14 Feb 1828 Lysabild, Mommark, Aabenraa-Sonder, Denmark
  • Died 2 May 1886 Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete, Utah
  • Parents: Thomas Jensen and Catrine Margrete Christensen

History of Hans Christian Davidson 1820 - 1891

Written August 10, 1932 By Sarah D. Wilcox, H. T. Wilcox and Vennese Jensen.

"Hans Christian Davidson was the son of Hans Davidson, who was the son of Christian Davidson, who was the son of David Jorgersen, who was the son of Jorden Andersen. He was born on the peninsula of Kechenes per Alsen Island in the Duchy of Schlesvig, Holstein in North Prussia, March 28, 1820. On November 2, 1852 he married Miss Anna Maria Jensen. Five years later he was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, by Ivan N. Iverson, missionary of the church.

"Anna Maria Jensen of Moemark Lysaple Church District, Denmark, was born February 14, 1828. Anne was the daughter of Thomas Jensen and Cathrine Margaret Christensen. They lived in Moemark, hometown of Anne for six years after their marriage. During this time two children, Hans and Mary were born to them. Hans was a draftsman, drawing maps and sketches of land. In this way he was able to have a home of his own and provide well for his wife and family, They were comfortable and happy.

Hans Christian Davidson was also a printer and created a perpetual calendar.
Click to enlarge.
Perpetual Calendar instructions
Click to view and ctrl-+ to zoom.
"Shortly after their baptism and uniting with the church, their relatives and friends turned against them because they wanted to give up their home in Moemark, to go on what seemed a foolish trip with much suffering and hardship, to make their home in a far country, that they knew little about.

"Notwithstanding the fact that their folks did not want them to go. They soon made arrangements to leave for America on the first boat carrying emigrants. It was the following year they learned of a ship leaving Liverpool, England for America, which was transporting Scandinavian emigrants.

"What property and furnishings they could not sell they gave away and left immediately for Liverpool, there they made their departure for America, setting sail on Monday, March 22, 1858, on the ship "John Bright". They took with them what food they would need until they reached America. There was a party of about ninety emigrants under the direction of Ivan N. Iverson. While on the ocean their supply of drinking water, which was boiled and stored in forty gallon barrels, ran short and because of this, many suffered badly and some died. After six weeks of tossing and shifting about on the water, they arrived in New York May 8, 1858.

"(The following appeared in the New York Times and is placed here because it continues the narrative of the history of Hans Christian Davidson and add other certain important information that might become obscure.--- Gwyn D. Davidson)

"The following was published in the New York Times of this date April 26, 1858
MONDAY, April 26
The weather was very fine and very warm for this time of year.
What they say of Mormonism in Denmark, Sweden and Norway

A company of ninety Mormons, eighty-one from Sweden, Denmark and Norway, and nine from England arrived at this port on Saturday, on board the emigrant ship JOHN BRIGHT, Capt. Connor. The Scandinavian portion of this company had their rendezvous at Corsor, in Denmark, where seventy-eight s and children, form different conferences or districts of the country over which the Mormons are scattered in small communities, each presided over by an elder, assembled on the 20th of February last, called together by the President of the Mission Elder Carl Viderborg. The Mormons of Europe, previous to the present disturbances in Utah ( the Utah War), have constantly preparing emigration and emigrating to Great Salt Lake City. New converts to the faith, as soon as they could collect sufficient means were in the habit of setting out immediately for America. The members of this Scandinavian company, most of them tradesmen and mechanics, having converted their property into money with intention of emigrating, heard of the disturbances last fall, at first hesitated whether they would start for the new world or not. It was finally decided that they should come to this country and make Canada their temporary abiding place until the prospect of war in the west should blow over.

Accordingly they started on the 21st of February, in charge of Elder I. N. Iverson, a Dane by birth from Utah. The company proceeded overland to Hamburg, and thence to Bremerhaven in Germany, where they arrived in safety on the 4th of March after a somewhat difficult journey. No resistance was offered to them in leaving their fatherland. On the 5th of the month they set out from Bremerhaven to Hull on the steamer MOVE, but were compelled to return on the 9th on account of a storm and contrary wind on the North Sea. They remained in port until the 12th and then started again. They reached Hull on the 14th, and were safely landed the same afternoon. On the 15 they left for Liverpool and arrived there at 6:00 the same afternoon. On the 18 they went on board the JOHN BRIGHT and lay in the river until the 22nd on which day they sailed. The voyage was a pleasant one. They had only a few days of stormy weather. At 11:00 o'clock Saturday morning they landed at Castle Garden, where they were detained only about an hour, and then went to Walker's Hotel, No. 25 Greenwich Street, where quarters had been provided for them by Mormon friends in the city.

Our reporter visited them there last evening. But few of them could speak English, and Miss Olivia Nielson--one of their number--translated what information they had to convey to him concerning themselves and the condition of Mormonism in the Scandinavian countries. The interpreter who kept house for Mormon Elders in Copenhagen for two years said: "The Captain as well as the other officers, and , indeed the whole crew, showed us all possible respect and kindness, and we cannot but feel satisfied with the treatment we have enjoyed. Besides our company, the number of other emigrants numbers about 640--English, Irish and German. The company consists of two persons from Norway, seven from Sweden, four from Schleswig, ( a German Providence belonging to Denmark) and all the rest from Denmark."

"The state of health on board the ship may generally be considered good. Our company sustained on the whole journey three cases of --two women and one infant." "Among the male portion of the emigrants are a number who have taken a leading part on propagating Mormonism throughout Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Some of them have been several times imprisoned by the 'politie' of police in Sweden for baptizing converts to Mormonism.

One of them, Lars Jorgensen, was imprisoned eight times in Holland and Malma, Sweden. Another, Niels Paulsen, said he was in prison in Norway for baptizing contrary to the Lutheran creed. "In the German part of Denmark, the providence of Scheswig, where Mr. Iverson had his mission," said the interpreter, "the Lutheran creed prevails to the exclusion of every other, and the inhabitants who join any other sect, or adopt any other faith, not having the same liberty as the other parts of the Danish States, and are persecutes, imprisoned, heavily taxed, and sometimes banished, as was the case with one person in this small company, Mr. Davidson, who after having been put in prison, and several times being tried before the police, was made to pay fines and threatened with banishment, and at last forced to sell his little farm at a very small price, he and his family were glad to join the company of Mr. Iverson.

During the time Mr. Iverson stayed in Denmark, Mormonism has made considerable progress not only there, but everywhere in Scandinavia. About 600 persons have been added to the Church, and especially since the report that the United States was sending troops to Utah was made known to the public, it has created much excitement." The majority of the emigrants are females. None of the men have more than one wife, and many of them have none. They are generally very intelligent-looking. The following are the names of those who compose Elder Iverson's company: I. N. Iverson, C. A. Madsen, C. V. Madsen, C. O. Folkman, Elia Folkman, C. D. Fjeldsted, K. Fjeldsted, P. I. Fjeldsted, Vita I. Fjeldsted, Willard Fjeldsted, I. M. Petersen, P. Jorgensen, Louise J. Jorgensen, Cecilie Jorgensen, Karoline Jorgensen, M. Christensen, Niels Petersen, Marie Petersen, Ane Maria Petersen, Ole Sonne, Cecilie Sonne, M. C. Christensen, Stine Christensen, M. C. Gregersen, Ane Andersen, M. Andersen, R. Olsen, P. O. Meilhede, K. Soendsen, A. Nielsen, Bodii Nielsen, P. Johnsen, Kristen Johansen, H. Nielsen, J. Andersen, Karen Andersen, Maren Andersen, Kristene Andersen, Anders Andersen, Anthon Andersen, Olivia Nielsen, L. Soendsen, K. M. Petersen, K. Svendsen, Maria Petersen, Christian Petersen, Peter Petersen, Joseph Petersen, F. Christensen, H. P.Olsen, H. P. Lund, N. C. Paulsen, A. P. Oman, N. Elder, L. Jorgensen, J. Larsen, Caroline Larsen, C. Petersen, A. Hansen, Magdalens Hansen, Karen Hansen, H, Knudsen, H. C. Davidson, Ane Davidson, Ane Davidson, Hans Davidson, C. Rasmusen, Thea Hastrup, Maria Hastrup The progress of Mormonism, the emigrant 'Saints' assured us, had been very rapid in the Scandinavian countries, during the last few years.
----NEW YORK TIMES, April 26, 1858----

"Then they began another long and toilsome journey to Iowa City. They remained here for a period of six weeks, resting themselves and preparing for the longest and most dangerous part of their journey--west across the plains. The cattle were turned out upon the hills to feed.

"Anne walked the entire distance over the desert waste of sagebrush, sand and rocks, moving steadily into the wild uncharted country, leading the horse of captain Iverson. Hans took his turn with the other men, herding the animals and standing guard at night. When they camped in the evening, they drove the wagons and carts into a circle formation, with the tongues outside and the fore wheel locked into the rear wheel of the one in front of it. Both man and beast had to stay inside the enclosure at night for protection against marauding Indians. At times it was difficult to find a camp with sufficient grass and feed in the enclosure to graze the stock and cattle, then it was necessary to take some of the stock outside the circle with a vigilant guard. All the wagons carried their own water tanks and barrels usually lashed to the outside, buckets, tubs and kettles swung from the gate or axle. They did all their cooking, eating and sleeping inside the circle. Indians made frequent night attacks upon the caravan throughout their long journey, but the men pretty well stood their ground with their guns and crude barricades. After every evening meal the company united in prayer to thank God, and ask him for their safe deliverance and guidance along the trail to their destination.

"The journey lay along the Platt River to the North Platte, then followed this stream to the Sweetwater, following that to it's head. When the rivers were left behind, mountain streams and springs were found from time to time for drinking water. There was never a time when the caravan was more than ten miles from drinking water. The barrels and kegs on the wagon sides provided ample reserves between these places. On one occasion Hans turned back on the trail and traveled one whole day, possibly fifteen, miles to recover a hatchet that had been left at the last camp. He had to swim the Platte River and when he returned with the hatchet he carried it between his teeth while swimming. He had to redouble his effort to catch up with the ever moving caravan.

"The women who came on this long journey were not afraid to live the rough pioneer life nor did they go about their daily tasks and privations with any reluctance. Every struggle, sorrow or they considered God's will as they passed over the rough path, beset with hunger and risks, toward the vision of a better country. To the assemblage of men, busy with the hard earned rewards of the day, they brought the three sterling qualifications of endurance, gentleness, faith and home with the nurture of children. Due to the fact that the children were distributed among the wagons to equalize the care and loads, the mothers seldom saw the younger ones except at night and morning.

"They finally reached Salt Lake City, Monday, September 20, 1858. After a brief stay they traveled south with Captain Iverson, to Battle Creek, now called Pleasant Grove, where Iverson's home was located. Their first dwelling place was a cellar given them by Bro. Iverson. Their family endured a very severe winter in their cellar home. Many times they had to go to bed to keep from freezing to . Hans' heels were frozen and became raw and swollen with sores on them the size of dollars. The next spring Hans worked hard and received one ham valued at $15.00, on one occasion, and by careful portioning the ham lasted all summer. He used a scythe to cut hay for the first cow they had after coming to Utah. In the summer it dried up and they turned her on the mountain to feed, and for some reason she died. Four children were born to them while they lived in Pleasant Grove: Lorenzo, Bell, Amasa and Sarah. Sarah was born September 9, 1864 and died when six months old. They were very poor while they were in Pleasant Grove and when Bell was born they had no clothing for her. A neighbor lady, seeing the destitute condition of the family, went to a daughter who had previously lost a baby and they immediately brought them some of the baby's clothes to her.

"The fall after Sarah died, Hans borrowed old man Bacon's new wagon to haul hay to Salt Lake to sell. He made several trips with two yoke of oxen hitched to the wagon. There were two roads at the point of the mountain and Hans was on the upper one when the head team became unhitched somehow and excited the rear team. They became unruly, the wagon tongue slipped out of the ring and Hans, wagon and oxen rolled off the dugway, landing at the foot of the mountain, near the Jordan River. Hans was badly injured and brought home late at night. One oxen came home later with a broken jaw, the other three had been killed. Anna fed the crippled ox mashed potatoes using a long wooden spoon to do so.

"Flax was raised extensively at American Fork that year, here Hans found work and received flax for his pay. He and Anna made rope, kite string, candlewicks, and shoemakers thread from it. Hans made the rope to raise the first flag at Pleasant Grove. Hans became acquainted with Peter Godferson Sr. who urged him to sell out in Pleasant Grove and move to Mt. Pleasant. Hans sold out in 1864 and bought twentyseven acres from Godfersen in North field at Birch creek. Due to Hans' ambitious nature he paid for his farm in full; $1,000 in all, some money but mostly stock. Later he bought the home and lot now owned (1932) by Andrew Norman which was closer to town. At the time of the purchase there was a small one room log house with a rock cellar on the place. While living here five children were born to them; twins Sarah and Ephraim, another baby who died at birth, Lucinda and Joseph. One Sunday afternoon, a small band of Indians came and tried to take Bell away with them. They sent for a neighbor, Rastmus Mickelsen to help and Bell was hidden until the Indians rode off.

"Hans understood astronomy and the year 1876-77 when E. A. Day was teaching school in Mt. Pleasant, Mr. Day asked him to lecture to his pupils. His talks and illustrations were both interesting Hans was always eager to help at any time. He loaned S. H. Allen the money he needed to acquire and education and be a doctor.

"Lorenzo and Amasa attended the first Presbyterian school, now known as Wasatch Academy, founded by Dr. Duncan J. MuMuillian. the school was conducted in an old dance hall which McMuillian converted into a school and church. This building still stands on Main street and is the meeting hall of the Masonic Lodge.

Back Row Left Joseph, Lucinda, Hans Thomas, Sarah, Ephraim
Front Row Left Lorenzo, Mary Dorthea Catherine, Hans Christian, Elizabeth, Amasa
This picture was taken after his wife Anna's death.

"They moved to Birch Creek in 1879, and lived there until Anna died, May 2 1886, then they moved back to town. The farm was sold and Hans remarried a few years later to a widow from Ephraim, Utah."

Biography of Hans Christian Davidson and Anna Maria Jensen

As told to by their daughter Sarah D. Wilcox to her daughter Vennes Jenson.

"Father was the son of Hans Davidson. He was born on the peninsula of Kechens per Alsen Island in the duchey of Schlesvig Holstein in north Prussia, on March 28th, 1820, and was married to Anna Maria Jensen, November 2, 1852. Father was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on November 16, 1857.

"Father lived in the same town of his wife in Denmark during which time two children were born to them, Mary and Hans. They were comfortably situated and had a little home of their own. Father was a draftsman and drew plots of land, valleys, and various buildings. After Father and Mother were baptized, the folks all around them, and they felt vexed to think that they would have to their home and position to suffer hardships and go to a strange country far away which they knew nothing about,

"Shortly afterwards they made arrangements to leave with the first ship that carried immigrants to America, and it was not until late in the Fall that they learned of a ship that would carry Scandinavian immigrants. They sold as much of their possessions as they could, and the rest they gave away or left, and made ready for their departure to Liverpool, England, from which they were to sail. They carried with them only what food, clothing, and bedding that would be necessary until they reached America.

"They soon reached Liverpool and set sail with about ninety Scandinavian immigrants in a ship “John Bright”, and under the direction of Ivan N. Iverson., on January 22, 1858. While on the water the immigrants suffered great hardships for the lack of drinking water, as their water, which was boiled and stored in forty gallon barrels before they left England, gave out, and because of this many suffered and died.

"After thirteen weeks of weary tossing on the water, they arrived at New York, on April 26, 1858, and then after another long and tedious journey they reached Iowa City on May 1st. From there they started their long and toilsome journey across the plains.

"Mother led Captain Iverson’s horse and cart while she herself walked the entire distance. Father took his turn with the other men herding and standing guard and sentinel every evening when they camped for the night.

"They drove the wagons or ox-carts in a large circle and the people camped and cooked within the circle. After supper the all turned out in praise of God for His guidance so far along the way. So passed the many weeks of journey like this, and they finally reached Salt Lake City on Monday, September 20, 1858.
After stopping for some time in Salt Lake City, they traveled on with Mr. Iverson to Pleasant Grove, where Mr. Iverson lived. Mr. Iverson owned a house and some land and he had an out-house or cellar which he was not using, and in this he let father and mother live, the first winter. Next spring father worked and cut hay for the first cow they had, and the next summer she was turned on the mountain and died.

"Four children were born to them while they lived at pleasant grove: Belle, Lorenzo, Amasa, and Sarah. Sarah a mere baby died at the age of six months. Father and Mother were very poor while they lived at Pleasant Grove and when the fourth baby was born Mother had no clothes for him. A neighbor lady happened in, and seeing these poor conditions, she immediately sent down some of her daughter’s baby clothes. Her daughter had recently lost her own baby.

"The fall after the six-month baby had died, father borrowed old man Bacon’s new wagon to haul hay to Salt Lake to sell or to pay tithing -- It is not clear. Father had made several trips previously before this trip. There were two roads at the Point of the Mountain, and Father was on the upper road, he had two yoke of oxen hitched to the wagon. The head team became unyoked, or ran away. The other team became unruly so Fathers wagon -hay and all- went rolling off the dugway and landed at the foot of the mountain near the Jordan River. Father was quite badly injured, and three ox were killed. The other ox walked home with a broken jaw. Father was picked up and carried home late that night by a neighbor.

"That year flax was raised quite extensively at American Fork and Father worked there and received flax for his pay. He brought it home and the rest of the family made rope and kite-line out of it, and Mother made thread to sew with; Also shoupe thread and candle-wicking.

"Sometime later, Peter McArthur talked to father and wanted him to sell out in Pleasant Grove and go to Mt. Pleasant in Sanpete County. Father did this and bought 27 acres of land of Peter Gottferson in the North field, now Birch Creek, and later bought the home and lot that Andrew Norman is living on now. When father bought the place, it had a small log house, and a rock cellar outside. While living here, two Indian bucks came one Sunday and made an attempt to take my sister Belle. Mother sent for one of our neighbors, Rastus Nickelson, and in the meantime, hid my sister until the Indians left. This was Aunt Belle.

"There were no dentists in those days here yet, and Father and Mother took places of one and pulled teeth with turn-keys for people. Father was also the first printer here. Mother died on May 2nd, 1886, and Father did job-printing up until the time of his in 1891 making him 71 years old."

By their daughter Sarah D. Wilcox

"He was the first dentist in Mt. Pleasant, and Sanpete county and he read and wrote in three languages American, German, and Danish, and kept three papers and he never went to school in here in America."

By his granddaughter Vennes Wilcox Janson

A copy of the history of Hans Christian Davidson as written and printed by himself

My genealogy as far as known to me.
"I Hans C. Davidsen, was the son of Hans Davidsen, who was the son of Christian Davidsen, who was the son of David Jorgensen. I was born on the peninsula of Kechens per Alsen Island in the Duchey of Schleswig Holstein in north Prussia, on March 28th, 1820. Was married to Anna Maria Jensen of Nomark, Lysaple Church District on November 2, 1852. Was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on November 16, 1857. Emigrated to America and came to Utah in the year 1858."

Besides the six children mentioned above, they also had the following children:
7. Sarah (twin)
8. Ephraim (twin)
9. Lucinda
10. Joseph

* * *

Hans Christian Davidson and second wife, Anne Dorthea Hansen.

Mount Pleasant City Cemetery, Mount Pleasant, Utah
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Mount Pleasant, Utah

For more information on Hans Christian Davidson and his family, visit Hans Christian Davidson; Family & Descendants and Hans Christian Davidson.


Isaac Horner said...

This is a wonderful Historical blog. I hope all the descendents of H. C. davidson who visit this blod will will tell ther families about it. This blog is very well done. Gwyn you have done a great job. T E Davidson

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments! It has been a lot of fun to put these up on the Internet. (But my name isn't Gwyn...)

Isaac Horner said...

I thougt that since Gwynns history of Lorenzo was on the blog, that Gwynn had posted the blog.
my apologies, I would like very much to exchande picutes or histories I have of early Davidson famiiies with any you may have. perhaps you can identify some of the families whose pictures are on the hanscristiandavidson.blogspot.com which have the family reuinion pictures posted. T E D

Kathy said...

Well, I must confess that I have put up on this website all the early Davidson family pictures that I have. If you have more that you'd like to send me, I'd certainly be interested. Just recently I went to the hanschristiandavidson.blogspot.com and sent in the names of some people I recognized (my aunt Blanche, for one). That is a great web site, too!

Kathleen Stuart said...

Thanks for the blog! I had heard some of the stories and I have a photocopy of the perpetual calendar.

Kathleen Davidson Stuart
Daughter of Howard LeRoy Davidson, son of Amasa Alonzo Davidson, son of Amasa Davidson, son of HC Davidson